Sunday, 8 March 2009

A small but important victory

Public opinion through the Internet, with many thanks to NO2ID, would appear to have held off Clause 152 and the repealing of the DPA for government - for now.

The Sunday Telegraph reports today that Jack Straw has backed down. He states that this is due to pressure from the medical lobby, but I think he is being economical with the truth.

Why do I say this?


Well I reckon that over three thousand of emails have arrived with MPs from the NO2ID/Facebook campaign alone. There will have been many more, including those from my Slashdot article.

Last December I predicted that:
E-democracy will show signs of coming of age. It is probable that the attempts to push through web censorship will encourage this. Large, rapidly mobilised mass pressure groups will become more active and effective.
I got the cause wrong, but would argue that we are now on the cusp of being able to rapidly influence Government with rapidly organised online action.

Watch this space for the Government's next attempt to curb our liberties. We have won this skirmish, but the battle will rumble on for many years.

No comments:

Post a Comment