Monday, 8 December 2008

Internet Watch Foundation and this image

I have just got off the phone with Virgin Media who have told me that there is going to be a press release very soon. The statement was read to me and the content was along the lines of "Virgin have been informed that both IWF and the UK Police authorities have deemed the image potentially illegal and Virgin are therefore are standing by the decision to block the image."

It would appear that the Internet is now censored in the UK.

I would guess that this site is now illegal as it contains a link to the image. The questions I would like answers to are:
  1. Is it illegal to own the album?
  2. What about Houses of the Holy by Led Zeppelin?
  3. What are the implications of this for civil liberties in general?
  4. Is the logical conclusion to ban not just Wikpedia, but all wikis?
  5. Are the ISPs going to have to filter and scan every packet we send and receive?
This is a bad day for the UK.



The Metro seems to be following the story, noting that it is good news for the sales of the album.

I am still undecided as to whether this is a cock-up or conspiracy.

No comments:

Post a Comment