Saturday, 19 April 2008

Government Stupidity

OK - place yourself as Chancellor of the Exchequer - yes I know it's an odd request. You want to appear to be on the side of the poor. So, you introduce a 10% introductory Income Tax rate. This is what Gordon Brown did in 1999. This is a cool idea, as it means that you reduce the impact of starting to pay Income Tax. As it happens, this caused problems with the Income Tax system, and ended up with incomprehensible tax statements, as there was a strange fiddle with it being shown as a 'tax credit'. I remember, because I couldn't work out what the hell was going on...

Now, you tell me what this clearly intelligent Chancellor (soon to be Prime Minister) was planning when he removed this Income Tax band.

So, take the cockspiracy view point. He wasn't planning to sting the poor but hardworking. He wasn't planning to commit political suicide. He was just not listening to anyone. He thought "I'm sure I've got this right". Conspiracy to rob those working hard on minimum wage? No. Just another cock-up.

No comments:

Post a Comment